Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do you say "Happy Thanksgiving" in Italian?

When our family gets togther for Thanksgiving, it is a huge event. There are usually no less than 30 people, and enough food to feed a small army. It has always been one of my favorite holidays (coming in a close second behind Halloween.) Luckily, I married a man who also loves Thanksgiving. So, no matter where we are, we do Thanksgiving up right. This year will be no different. The turkey has been bought, and my countertops are filled with the fixins for a feast. I've had to re-vamp some of my menu, as some things are impossible to find over here. Family in the States have shipped the Copes Corn (Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without it), but the orange sherbet for my Grammy's orange salad recipe is impossible to find, and impossible to ship. So...no glop.

From growing up in our family, Thanksgiving dinner is not a meal meant to enjoy in small groups. With that in mind, we have invited some of my husband's soldier-friends, and also an Italian family who own a restaurant that we frequently visit. The family sort of adopted my husband while I was home this summer with our boys. Without them, my husband may have starved. I'm very excited to have them come, as this will be their first Thanksgiving dinner. But last night, I had a bit of an anxiety attack as I considered the fact that I was preparing a meal for a chef. Not just a meal...but an unfamiliar one. Do Italians do mashed potatoes? I'm kind of thinking it's not a bad thing that orange sherbet doesn't exist here, because what would they think of the neon orange salad that our family devours? Then again, while dining there last night, the chef brought out to us a plate that had a variety of sliced fresh vegetables, and a small dish with a dipping sauce. He explained that it was pureed sardines and fresh garlic. I'm not saying it was bad, but I don't see myself every throwing sardines into a blender.

So, I have three days to prepare myself. I can do this. I'm just going to channel some of my aunt's energy and cooking wisdom. With a little luck, our Italian friends won't leave wondering why we Americans get so jazzed up over the fourth Thursday in November.

Ciao' for now!

2 comments:

  1. I trust you to represent our family, and America, at this feast. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll do great!!! We miss your grammy's orange gloop too!!!! (Miss you too!!!)

    Have a wonderful time - can't wait to hear how it goes!

    Love and miss you- Kelly

    PS Happy birthday to Josh!!!

    ReplyDelete