Monday, February 8, 2010

Italian Polizia - Are they kind, or just lazy?

It's either one of two things. The Italian Polizia are either the kindest group of law enforcement or they just don't like to work. This is a really good thing for us more aggressive drivers. Now, I have to add a caveat; I have only been pulled over once (knock on wood), and the one time I was pulled over, I actually didn't even know I was speeding at the time (I was in traffic, a school bus was next to me, and I didn't see that the speed limit had changed from 45 to 35.) There have been plenty of times where I could have gotten a ticket and didn't, so I just wrote that one off as being due.

Here in Italy, the police will set up speed traps. Scary, right? Not in Italy. They actually set up signs about 50 feet in both directions from where they are set up with their radar guns. So, providing you are not totally oblivious, you have plenty of warning to slow down and not get pulled over. Have I ever seen anyone pulled over near a speed trap, no. Have I ever seen anyone pulled over in Italy? Only on the military base and by the MPs. I truly think the Italian police just aren't really in a hurry to ruin anyone's day (including their own.) Whenever you drive by a speed "trap" the officers are standing around, cigarette and espresso in hand enjoying their afternoon. Not like the American police who have their foot hovering over the gas pedal, ready to charge after any offenders.

I will say this, though. If you do happen to be charged with a traffic violation, hold onto your wallet and kiss your license goodbye. They are very heavy-handed when it comes to punishment. It doesn't take too many traffic tickets (for even the little stuff like parking in the wrong type of parking space) to get your license yanked.

No comments:

Post a Comment