Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mount Pasubio and the great outdoors

DH exclaimed to me that he was tired of looking at buildings. How??? How could you be tired of looking at buildings when we are in a country where the buildings we are looking at were made before our country even existed? Ok, so DH does not have the appreciation for architecture that I do. I give him credit though. He did not complain during our excursions to any of the cities we've visited so far. Up until now, I thought he was enjoying it when I stopped every few steps to point out a buildings facade or unusual window casing. (Turns out Italy has some interesting architecture because during the time of Columbus, when they were taking their ships to the Far East for spices and other stuff, they brought back with them the ideas of some of their architecture. Bored yet? DH was.) OK, so he wasn't enjoying my tid-bits of knowledge, but at least he went along with it. So, we decided to have a day for him to choose our adventure.

My DH's idea of fun is to hike up a mountain. Don't get me wrong, I love the outdoors. I love to hike. I love to pack a picnic, stop and take pictures, and enjoy a leisurely stroll. DH and I differ a little bit here. DH is happy donning a 30lb rucksack and high-tailing it straight up a mountain, and then tying ropes to the top and rappeling down said mountain. I'm ok with the rapelling down (LOVE heights). But having my heart explode out of my chest at high elevations from running up a 60 degree path strewen with rocks and sticks along a cliff's edge, not so much.

Here is where the lyme's disease worked in my benefit. DH actually kept a pace with me. I don't know if it was just the lyme's, or if he was liking the fact that the boys were at daycare, and this was the first time in months that we had any time to be alone. We were both half-way dead until we made it half-way up the mountain. But, the views were so amazing. Even he understood when I wanted to stop and take pictures. He wasn't even upset when the tour group from the local nursing home passed us (I don't know if it's the pasta or the wine, but older Italian people are one physically fit group).

We finally made it up to the top. DH had chosen to hike Mt. Pasubio because it is where the Italian soldiers during WWI built tunnels in the mountain to use as bunkers and as a way from getting materials from one camp to another. Turns out we took a wrong turn, and the area of Mt Pasubio we climbed was NOT the side with the tunnels. Whoops! Maybe next time. Stupid GPS.

Ciao' for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment