Sunday, September 12, 2010

Customer Service, Italian Style

If you've been reading my past blogs, you would understand that my experiences here in Italy have been marred only by two things. The first, my dissapointment in Northern Italian cuisine. The second, getting help with having anything fixed takes FOREVER. Well, after this week, I can no longer begrudge the Italians on that one. On Wednesday, with a laundry list of tasks to complete, my youngest son and I set out. We hopped in the car, and away we didn't go. The car wouldn't start. It didn't sound like the battery, and I knew that I had driven through some really deep water during a surprise rain storm on Tuesday. So, I did what any woman would do. I called my husband. He had no clue what to suggest. I guess my errands would have to wait.

I called the auto repair place on our military post, and was told that they wouldn't fix the car, but if I wanted to, they could come and tow it (for about $40), and I could fix it there. (Seems you can rent a lift and tools). The guy said from my description, it sounded like the fuel pump which would run anywhere from 35 to 150 euros. My Girl Scout badge in Automotive Maintenance failed to cover replacing fuel pumps, so I thought this may be a bit out of my league.

Frustated that I may have to wait until my husband had the time off to fix it, aka never, I walked to the nearby FIAT dealership. In my very little Italian, and the guys very little English, he understood that my car was "kapput" and that I had walked there from my house. Next thing I knew, there was a mechanic pulled around out front prepared to give my son and I a ride to our house to check out the car. WOW! I almost fell over. You mean I wasn't going to have to wait a week?

He drove my son and I to our house, and proceeded to tinker with the car. He signaled to me that he had to go back to the garage to get something, but that he would return. Which he did! He proceeded to tow the car back to his garage, and told me I could pick it up in 2 hours. Are you kidding me???? I kept thinking, OK, this car only cost us $100. It's probably going to cost me $500 to fix it. Damn language barrier. But, hey, I was desparate, and the guy had just driven off with my car...AFTER doing a home visit to try and fix it.

Two hours later, when I went back to the dealership, it was ready! And the bill....are you ready....51 euro! For everything! I must have said "Grazie" a thousand times. I told my husband I want to invite the mechanic to Thanksgiving dinner. (I'll tell you more about Thanksgiving later).

Ciao' for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment