Monday, September 20, 2010

Where's my manual????

The government spends billions of dollars evaluating programs to find out whether or not they work. I know this because our current First Lady is working to examine the programs that are in support of military families. My suggestion to her, instead of spending the money to take an in-depth look at existing programs, why don't you put that money into the countless programs that already exist that have run out of funding due to the many military families who have found them helpful! Wow...what a concept! See...that is logic. I have learned as a parent that many decisions I have to make are as simple as looking at things logically.

If my children had come with manuals, similar to the 112 page book in five different languages that came with my hand mixer (seriously...if you need 112 pages to help you figure out how to use a hand mixer, you probably shouldn't be in the kitchen) I may not have to make so many decisions on my own. Logic wouldn't play a part; I could simply turn to page 43 and read their steps for handling the crisis of the moment. But, alas, no manual.

So, when my four year old refuses to get dressed in the clothes that I have laid out in the morning, because he wants to wear his Buzz Lightyear pajamas, there is no troubleshooting section to turn to. Decision time. Do I let him stay in the pajamas? Yes, if we are just taking his older brother to the bus stop. No, if we are going to meet his new teacher for PreSchool. First impressions being what they are, I don't want him to be "that kid" and I certainly don't want to be "that mom."

And then, there are those moments that no book would cover. When the same child calls to you from the bathtub and says, "Hey, mom, look at this!" it's decision time. What are the chances that whatever he has to show me is something I want to see? It could be a turd. Or maybe he found my razor and decided to shave his head. Or, like in the instance of tonight, he'd want me to see the little dancing toy he had suctioned onto his weiner. Such a treat, parenthood.

Ciao' for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment