Monday, January 18, 2010

Closets and Kitchens and Bidets, Oh My!

Before heading to Italy, we had heard horror stories about housing over in Italy. Everything from bedrooms the size of closets to kitchens without cabinets. People warned us there was no storage, so don't take anything you might not use. I occasionally have selective hearing, just ask my DH. So, when it was time to pack, we brought it all. I figured we've lived in houses with boxes of stuff before, why stop now?

I don't claim to be a lucky person. However, for some reason unbeknownst to me, our whole moving experience was straight out of a fairy tale. Here we were, our little family of 4, tired of hotel living being driven to two houses to look at. If we didn't like either of those houses, we would go back and flip through countless information sheets on other homes, but then have to go to the rather difficult job of dealing with a private realtor. The nice Italian man, whose job it was to drive the cute American families to different homes, informed us that there were not a lot of homes available. He said that some people were spending months in a hotel until somthing became available. CRINGE! Months???? Where is my return plane ticket back to the states? I'll live in my parent's basement rather then in a hotel much longer.

We pulled up to the first house. It was a cute townhouse just outside a cute Italian town. I know I'm saying cute a lot, but if you saw it, you'd definitely say, "Oh, cute!" It wasn't anything fancy, it pretty much fit the other looks of houses in Italy. The house had marble everywhere, but that was to be expected with living in Italy. When he walked us down to the basement, I was sold. It had a completely finished, completely huge basement, divided into 2 areas. It was like the angels from Heaven began singing. We'd have room for all of our stuff!!!! And, if people came over to see us, we wouldn't have to give up our room! True, there was no closets, but with the basement, we could manage. The kitchen had cabinets, and when we went up to the Master Bedroom, I almost cried. We would actually be able to use the king size bed that we had bought in the states before we knew we were coming over to the land of tiny bedrooms. We had found our home!

Ciao' for now!