Monday, January 11, 2010

Signs of the Lyme's

DH is a bit of a perfectionist. When his orders came down three years ago to be a Drill Sergeant, I immediately took pity upon the poor privates who would have to meet up to his high standards. Like a cowboy and his gun, DH never left anywhere without his identification. I've been known to leave my id in a variety of places, the car, my dresser, the back pocket of my jeans. But DH had never left his behind.

I started to wonder about DH when he had to go back to a hotel we had checked out of to retrieve his wallet, which held his ID card. Then again, we were traveling and living out of our backpacks. Maybe he was just temporarily out-of-whack because of all of the moving around. Then, DH left one of his socks at another hotel. This would not be weird if he was traveling with multiple pairs of socks. But we were traveling with the bare minimum, and he had just the one pair. I had to go and try to explain to the housekeeping woman in Italian that we were looking for a sock. I think she thought I was crazy to be so concerned about a sock, but Rosetta stone didn't teach me how to say, "his only pair." Not that saying that would have made her wonder any less.

About a week into our travels, DH started to feel poorly. He was achy and feverish. Being the tough guy that he is, DH pushed forward so that we could continue enjoying our two weeks of travel time. When his symptoms became worse, I feared he had the flu, and was concerned that if the boys and I also came down with it while away from the post, we would be in trouble. So, the next morning we packed up and I drove the 4hours across Italy to Vicenza.

I was really glad that we made the decision to head "home," as DH went from feeling bad to worse. For a guy who is never sick, DH was light-headed, achy, feverish, and nauseous. He barely left the hotel room, except to report to sick-call and begin the paperwork to officially sign in at the base. I think the people took pity on him, because it seemed like things went much easier for us than it had for others. DH was loaded up with drugs and sent back to the hotel to rest. The boys and I used the time to check out the base and explore the area. We were excited about all of the new things we would get to do. Little did we know just how much adventure was in store for us. But that's another story.

Ciao' for now!