Sunday, January 31, 2010

Rubbing Elbows, and Everything Else with Ventians

Summertime in Venice....What were we thinking? It's freaking packed here! Parking is a TOTAL nightmare. We almost got hit by a bus because there was no place to turn around, and the parking lot at the end of the road was full, so I somehow missed that I was in a "busses only" lane and turned into their parking lot. I quickly relalized that compared to the behemouth vehicles near me, my little Punto didn't belong.

Before we even found a parking space, I was ready to say the Hell with it and bag the whole trip. There were people EVERYWHERE. And that was just at the train station NEAR San Marco Square. That wasn't even IN the middle of it all. But, I'm a slow learner. So, we parked the car and embarked on an enjoyable day in Venice.

The parking area and train station seemed like a good distance from San Marco Square, so we decided to take a water taxi to get closer. Water taxis in Venice are like regular taxis in NYC. There are a TON of different companies. We bought our ticket at the first ticket booth we came to, and thought we were heading to the right place. It was a good thing they weren't checking tickets, because we later figured out that we were COMPLETELY on board the wrong company's boat. Luckily, it didn't matter and we were dropped off just outside the San Marco's Square. A previous trip to Italy that I took back in high school helped me to negotiate the area. OK...not true...the TONS of people helped me to know we were getting off at the right spot. Once again, following the people helped us. The boat completely emptied when we arrived at the dock.

The square was packed, so we decided to explore some side streets. Since we never get out of our house before 10am, it was almost lunchtime, so we decided to find a place to eat. Having thrown away our travel books, we decided to take Samantha's advice, and find a place that looked busy with locals. When we looked in the window of one place, we saw this huge table filled with guys in striped shirts. Gondoliers! Way cool! Here were some locals. If they like it, the food must be good. Or..maybe the food was just cheap, cause it wasn't that good. The wine was the best thing we ordered. Maybe that's why the gondoliers were so happy. The wine was good, and less expensive than any other item on the menu, including water. So was this from the parable in the Bible where Jesus turns water into wine? Was this the restaurant where it all began? A small trattoria in Venice? Either way, we payed our bill and tipsyied out.

As we passed the Gucci and Dolce stores, I dreamed of one day affording the luxuries of Italian shopping. Ok..not just affording. I don't even walk in the stores for fear that the size "0" store workers will laugh out loud at my full-figured American body. I don't want to get that condescending "You actually eat?" look from them. For now, I'll stick with the pottery and leather (purses) stores. I can fit into them.

Back to San Marco Square. Should we tour the church? I had my shoulders covered..no more throw-aways for me. The line went on...and on...and on. Maybe next time. What about the Doge's Palace? Couldn't even get near it. On top of that, the temperature was hot enough that even the pigeons were hiding in the shade of the statues.

So, we decided to end our touring day of Venice. I think we could have seen more by buying a book. But, we learned some important lessons. Gondoliers know where there is good wine...not necessarily good food. Venice is HOT and smelly in the summer, visit in the winter. And, chocolate gellato makes ANY day end on a good note.

Ciao' for now!