Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I didn't know they made size 22 bikinis

Ask my friends, and they will tell you I fall somewhere in between being conservative and liberal in how I dress. I try not to completely dress like a haus-frau, but realizing that I'm in my VERY late 20's (cough cough) and would rather tip back a glass of wine than a set of weights, my beachwear is a simple one-piece swimsuit.

DH and I were prepared for seeing topless and teenie-bikini-clad women at the beach. I think we were even somewhat prepared for the men in their weenie-bikinis. I mean, Terrenia is only a stone's throw away from the Italian Riviera, and Europeans are way more liberal with dress than Americans. What we weren't prepared for was the number of OLD women and plus-sized women wearing bikinis. I was the ONLY person on the beach with a one-piece suit. I felt like I was back in the Cathedral with the paper smock on. There were 90 year old women strutting around in thongs. Very pregnant women topless. But that wasn't the worst, or best, depending on how you looked at it. One woman stood up to stretch and she was completely naked...no thong, no nothing...just a really good tan...EVERYWHERE. And believe me, you could see EVERYWHERE!

OK...deep breath. DH was VERY well behaved given this environment. He didn't have whip lash when we left, or anything. And the bigger surprise, our boys, who don't miss ANYTHING seemed relatively oblivious. I guess all of those naked statues in Pisa prepared them.

To balance out the totally naked people, there were peddlers walking the beach selling everything from purses to sunglasses. These guys were clad in clothes from head to toe. Straw hat, shirts, jeans, and even in one guy's instance hiking boots. I never thought I'd say that someone with clothes on looked more out of place than the naked lady. Is Italy making me more liberal? Before going to the beach the next time, I did buy and wear a bikini.Try topless next time? Doubt it.

Ciao' for now!